I’m not one for wild and crazy New Year’s parties. Instead, I like to slip on a cozy pair of slippers and spend the night at home with my husband, a few close friends, and a a bunch of yummy snacks.
Every year, as the clock ticks closer and closer to midnight on December 31, we take some time to reflect on all the wonderful things the last year has brought. As we flip through photos of our adventures, our culinary experiments, and our time spent with friends and family, we relive the best parts of the year.
I love this tradition because it gives me gratitude for the past year and inspiration for the one ahead. Taking time to recognize all I accomplished motivates me to keep seeking new experiences, traveling to new places, and trying new challenges. When I wake up on January 1, I feel ready to make the new year the best one yet.
So in the spirit of spreading inspiration for the coming year, I’m going to share some ideas for New Year’s Eve party games for adults to play as you wait for the ball to drop. These games are great whether you are spending an evening out with a group of friends or planning a quiet night in with a special someone.
Three Hilarious New Year’s Eve Party Game for Adults
I don’t know about you, but laughter is inspiring to me. There’s nothing like a good chuckle to lift your spirits, improve your outlook on life, and help you focus on the positive. These three games are fun and silly, but they’ll also allow you to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the new one with a fresh mindset and some stellar resolutions.
Here are my favorite New Year’s party games that will have you laughing until midnight:
- Last Year’s Highlights Reel: This game is similar to what my husband and I do on New Year’s Eve, but it can be a lot sillier! Before the party, write down a bunch of questions about the past year. Make some of them as outrageous as you can, like “what was the most disgusting thing you ate in 2017?” or “what was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you this year?” Also be sure to include a few serious ones, like “what was your happiest moment in 2017?” or “what was your biggest lesson of the year?” When you’re ready to play, put all the questions in a hat and take turns drawing one at a time. Read each question aloud and give everyone the chance to answer. It’s amazing what you’ll learn about your friends—and what you’ll learn from them—by playing this game.
- Resolution Detectives: Similar to Two Truths and One Lie, this game will test how well your friends know each other while giving everyone a chance to come up with some New Year’s resolutions. Give everyone a piece of paper to write on, and instruct them to come up with two real resolutions and one fake one. When everyone is ready, go around the group and have each person state their three resolutions aloud. Anyone who can detect the fake resolution gets a point. At the end of the game, add up the points and see who is the best resolution detective!
- New Year’s Resolution Matching Game: This game is one of my favorites because it allows you to share your resolutions with the group and see if anyone else has similar goals! Have each of your guests write down three New Year’s resolutions on separate pieces of paper. Put them all in a hat, then have someone draw them one at a time and read them aloud to the group. Have each person write down who they think the resolution belongs to, and when you’ve made it through all of them, ask everyone to reveal which resolutions were theirs. Give the person who gets the most guesses correct a motivational New Year’s gift that encourages them to keep their resolutions, like a gratitude journal or a day planner.
To complement these fun games, try organizing a fun New Year’s resolution-themed gift exchange. Have everyone bring inspiring gifts that will help set their giftees up for success in the New Year. I like to use an online Secret Santa generator to assign gifters and send invites quickly and easily. Participants can also use a New Year’s Eve gift guide to make online wish lists for their Secret Santa to make sure they end up with something they really want.
Inspiring Vision Board Activity for the New Year
This is more of an activity than a game, but I promise it is just as fun. After all, who doesn’t love cutting pretty pictures out and getting creative with the clippings?
Vision boards are powerful visual tools that help you get clear about what you want in your life so you can make it happen. Essentially, vision boards are collages made up of your dreams, hopes, and goals. I like to make one around New Years because it inspires me for the year ahead. Once the board is complete, put it in a place where you will see it every day so you are constantly reminded of what you want to manifest in your life.
What you need:
- Poster board for each of your guests
- Scissors (ask your guests to bring their own if you don’t have enough)
- Old magazines and flyers (again, ask your friends to bring any they have around the house—you’ll need a lot)
- Glue or tape
Once you have your supplies, spread everything out on a big table (or my personal favorite—the floor), and let the clipping begin! Cut out images that inspire you, words or phrases that resonate with you—anything you want to see more of in your life in 2018. If you’d like to meet a special someone, for instance, clip out a picture of a happy couple or the word “love.” If eating healthier is your plan for the new year, find pics of fresh fruits and veggies.
When everyone has enough clippings, they can start arranging them on their individual poster boards. Once every person is finished, have each guest hold their board up and talk about it with the group. Not only will you feel like a kid again, you’ll have some serious focus and inspiration heading into the new year.
No matter what you end up doing on New Year’s Eve, take a few moments at the end of the evening to be grateful for the last year and all the good things that will undoubtedly come next. Even if you don’t keep your New Year’s resolutions (I’m usually guilty of this) or the year takes an unexpected turn, if you are grateful for all the good in your life, more good will come. Here’s to an inspiring New Year filled with plenty of love, lots of laughter, and a whole lot of gratitude!
At Elfster, we’ve got more fun New Year’s Eve ideas on our fantabulous blog, or check out our gift guides for gifting inspiration. You can also connect with Elfster on Facebook, on Twitter @Elfster, or on Instagram @Elfster.
Latest posts by Courtney S (see all)
- Oscar-Inspired Red Carpet Party Games for Adults - February 2, 2018
- Creative Out-of-the-Box Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas - January 25, 2018
- The Most Creative Gift Exchange Game Ideas for Your Next Party - January 9, 2018